Sunday 28 June 2009

The lost art of honesty

I think that honesty is a lost art and lost in art.

I realise in my late 20's that I'm not very good at being honest. Honest about who I am, who I love and who I lust, what I want to do, how I act in front of others, the list goes on. Also honestly about what I am not. It's strange that I'm asking myself these questions again, I really thought I had dealt with these issues.

This is the type of honesty that makes you say something truthful to someone however awkward it may be. It's what you feel in your gut to be true, but it's easier to ignore. I don't think this honesty is something we learn at school or even at home, it's not encouraged by society or the media either. It's easier to appease people and convince yourself you want something even if it's not making you happy.

I'm certainly not saying that you should wonder up to any person at any time and say what ever the hell you feel. This type of honesty has to come from a place of love and respect, but you get my drift...

So with this realisation - if art is a reflection of who I am and what I think about the world - then how can I create something that's genuine, something truthful that you relate to if I am not a very honest person with myself or the people around me?
Michelle

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is so well put and sums up exactly how I feel right now. I was thinking about this over the weekend - in the space of about 6 weeks I have lost 3 people that I thought were very close to me. It's all because I found out the true extent of their personalities and actions and decided it would be better to completely part company rather than try to repair already strained relationships.

    On confronting them on their behaviour, they all denied it and turned away from trying to deal with what I was trying to address with them. See, I look at that as dishonesty on 2 levels - one level is dishonesty against me (by their initial act) and secondly, dishonesty against themselves for not admitting or confronting their actions.

    It takes real guts to a) confront your own (dis)honesty and b) trying to confront your actions which others regard as being dishonest. By writing and thinking about it, you are already miles ahead of the rest of us x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I wish I was like that
    I was never taught tact therefore I alienate people by becoming confrontational. If I dont confront I feel im going to burst/get fidgety/avoid all eyecontact etc. so then I cant progress with that person at all. My Friends just except that and think i'm just rude...Although I do forgive far too easily
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that at least confrontational is more advanced than holding it all in. What I find weird is that I had it right at about 1 year old. I knew what I wanted and what I didn't want. I could love freely with no complications and show affection. I laughed when I was happy and cried when I was sad, and I never got tension headaches back then. As I grew up I found clever words and beautiful masks to wear, do we really become wise with age, or just more tricky? I totally see what you're saying with the two levels of dishonesty. I don't know these are all just random thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may not make sense but by being honest about being dishonest you are creating a genuine reflection of yourself and I think so long as we can account for the things we produce in some way then that is all art can be.

    ReplyDelete