Saturday 27 June 2009

The Art of Weightlessness



Up there! Amongst the showlights
A suspended blur crawling on knees
A gruesome creature
With a deathly red stare
And a frozen white grin
Tinged green with greed it feeds on
Consumerism and lies.
repeating ‘You do not exist without buying this’

Happiness is this world
With artificial sunshine, motionless peers
Painted faces baring undernourished limbs
Synthetic hair and acrylic claws.
The clothes make the Man but the Man made clothes.
Who made the Man? And what on earth for?
Constant scrutiny keeps me in check
Your tailored to perfection the mirrors reassures.
The name on the badge doesnt make sense anymore


That it sees everything but nobody sees it
But me.
Because I am It.
And It scorns my need to validate that greed
Snorting with laughter, rolling around with glee.

Before I depart I separate the two
And leave that creature, crawling on knees
Suspended from the ceiling, feeding.
And I am guilt free and Off duty.



T.V.S.J 2nd

1 comment:

  1. Those Selfridges ads really annoyed me as they were so audacious and gratuitous. Ok, they were stating the very obvious of advertising/capitalist/consumer culture but it's the fact that they did it and people didn't really bat an eyelid...

    I really like this poem - it is thought-provoking and interesting to see things from the point of view of an employee battling with what they're surrounded by but equally dependent on it all as a source of their own livelihood. x

    ReplyDelete