Monday 10 August 2009

Where's Captain Planet The Movie?

Today I read a semi-interesting article about how Generation Y is already feeling nostalgic about their childhood. I am not entirely sure if I am young enough to fit in to this particular age group, but the examples made me feel old. It mainly focused on the fact that the Harry Potter cast and the majority of its fans are already jumping into their early 20s- even though it feels like just yesterday that this bespectacled young wizard first appeared on screen.
The Disney Generation (and I do mean the new version, not Britney and Justin... although having to state that difference also makes me feel my age) are also on the brink of adult hood. This realization brought up comments about what children's television programmes were most missed. While I was more into VHS copies of The Trap Door and Roger Mellie Man On The Telly, I had at least assumed amongst the listed would be shows like Are You Afraid Of The Dark? or the original Power Rangers. Instead, I was seeing Lizzie McGuire and Pokemon. Plus, Britney Spears is relatively close to my age, so why is going to see her in concert being compared to seeing someone like New Kids On the Block?
Admittedly, I am a complete nerd for looking up movies and bands I obsessed over as a child. It's a bit charming to dig up old mix tapes and try to figure out just what you were thinking when you were taping Boyzone off the radio. Or that one time when you went to see them and Peter Andre was the opener. Remember when Peter Andre was known as just a muscle-man with bad hair singing cheesy pop tunes? He still is? Oh, anyway. Well yes, some people reading this may think that my own personal childhood attachments may not seem that old themselves. Sometimes it doesn't really feel that long ago that I was watching the Little Mermaid in theatres. Then again, that movie came out in 1989- twenty years ago. Staple Disney movie in any kid's life, and some of my younger friends are a bit shocked that I am old enough to have seen it in its original theatrical release.
Not to mention, the kick Hollywood has been on lately with bringing things like Transformers and the Ninja Turtles to the big screen (again) as well as their choice of not-so-old remakes feels a bit ridiculous at times- Drop Dead Fred? REALLY?
It's impossible to stop the clocks, and I suppose I can try and force myself to admit that Limp Bizkit have already become a band of yesteryear, although I still refuse to lump them in as an artist of my generation.
I guess what sort of disturbs me the most about all of this is that at some point, bands like the Jonas Brothers and television shows like Hannah Montana are going to be dug up some years from now by twenty-somethings looking to feel like a kid again. I can't help but feel a bit sorry for them, cartoons these days aren't nearly as interesting as they used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment