Tuesday 6 October 2009

The Emblems of Tragedy

Lately I have been at a low point, where I wasn't feeling inspired by anything. I live in an area full of culture and arts but felt a bit lost. There are so many people around here that put their whole selves into what they do, whether it be music, paintings, sculptures, films, any of that. But there is also a crowd bound with a pretentious mentality. Whether it's those who believe they're the next big thing, or those just jumping on the band wagon. I just haven't felt enough genuine passion lately.
This past week I have turned into something of a tourist, even though I live in London. I have family visiting, one person in particular has never been in this city before. We've been going to see as many galleries, museums and exhibitions as possible (especially the free ones).
I have been living here since June, and I have taken in a lot of the art scene but more so the east end sort of thing. The only major museum I had visited was the V&A Museum of Childhood for its Roald Dahl exhibition. I hadn't really thought about the bigger places.
Seeing modern art at Tate (like the Warhol room) was spectacular. The Natural History museum took almost four hours, and then we followed that up with the Science Museum (who have the most amazing Wallace and Gromit themed exhibit... it's not just for children!)
BUT! It wasn't until we reached the National Portrait Gallery that I really started to take everything in. I suppose I have a bit of ADD with galleries sometimes, in the sense that I don't appreciate everything as much as I should. I sort of zip through rooms sometimes, only aiming to see a certain peice. It's a bad habit, and I don't mean to act ignorant. I am just not an art buff by any means. I can't see what's special about a blank canvas with some blue lines on it.
Anyway, the National Portrait Gallery. I was already excited with seeing a full sized version of Blur's "Greatest Hits" cartoons. The Twiggy collection was classic and there was a slightly creepy painting of Paul McCartney's face. It wasn't until I reached the more historic pieces that I became completely entranced.
One in particular that struck me was learning about an actress named Sarah Siddons. I found this portrait in particular to be so haunting. I just wanted to look at it for hours.

Sarah Siddons was a famous actress from the late 1700's to the early 1800's. I had never heard of her before I found her pictures but I find her to be so captivating. I feel as if I understand even just from paintings why she was such an important figure. Which is exactly what the artist wanted, I'm sure.

We also took a look in the National Gallery. We spent about two and a half hours in there and I still need to go back because we didn't get to see everything. The oldest paintings in particular were the most captivating. Many of them religious, but their textiles, especially those painted on gold leaf, were breathtaking.
This was another favourite discovery. It's from the year 1468.

All I want to do now is paint, sketch, sing, create a ridiculously lavish set and pose for someone else! Anything.
It has been so long since I have felt this inspired, creatively speaking.
I am certainly not taking these places for granted from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment